Sunday, May 10, 2009

No Store Boughten Gifts Wanted.....

Mothers Day, 2009
This year, I told my family that I didn't want anything store boughten for Mothers Day. I was very serious! All I wanted as a gift from them was for me, as their mother, to know that they had a testimony of the gospel. That to me, would be the greatest gift!!
Today, Evan was asked to give a talk on Mothers. He did a wonderful job! When I told my mom this evening that he spoke in church, she said " I'm glad that wasn't me!"
Here is part of Evan's talk: (He wrote it himself)
I was asked to speak today on Mothers. So I would like to start off with saying that moms are great because if you think about it they are the ones staying home cleaning, doing dishes, and putting the cloths away that dad left out because he was late getting up for work! (Big laugh from everyone) So mom's are really great!
He then read a long poem called: Why God made Mothers.
Said a quote: By Edgar Allan Poe
Mother
....The angels, whispering to one another,
Can find, among their burning terms of love,
None so devotional as that of "Mother".....
I would also like to say to you, that you should always love your Mother. And not just on Mothers Day. You should also love your Father too.
My Mothers love is more than I could ever ask for. I have always wondered if while we were in heaven, did we get to choose our Mother? And if we did, I am glad that I chose my mom. There are so many words that you could use to describe a mother, and the thing I like most about my mom is that she is really funny. Like on Friday at my game in West Vally, we were losing really badly. We were all yelling at the catcher! The pitcher had thrown him an extra ball to give to the ump. and he just moved out of the way and let it go by him! My mom yelled to all of us "Love One Another and Be Happy" We all laughed. One of my friends even yelled over to me. "Hey Evan your mom's funny" Well that is what I love most about her.
I would like to conclude by saying that mom's are the best. And that you always want her love. Because without it your life would not be the same.
He then shared his testimony with everyone...
It was a wonderful Mothers Day. They didn't listen to me and got me a few gifts. But their love is enough!

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Alright Evan, brought me to tears! Nice job with your talk, very grown-up and I know your mom was just beaming :) Your mom is funny and that was a funny moment when she said that to all of you :) It was a very quiet moment and just perfect. Koop said that cause he agrees and thinks she is funny too. The part you didn't hear was, after Koop said "hey ev, your mom's pretty funny" she said to me and Anya "I might just start belting out church songs about loving one another" Now that would have been hilarious!! :)

Susan said...

What a great thing to ask for Arianne! I wish I had been there to hear Evan's talk. He is such an amazing young man, and he takes after you in the sense-of-humor department. He's right... you are a wonderful mother! I can't wait to see you and Anya! Don't forget to bring some comfortable shopping shoes :)

Arlene said...

He did a wonderfl job!! I think homade gifts are more personal. The holidays are to commercialized.

Kim said...

Ahhh that is so sweet, what a great talk. Justin spoke in sacrament also and it was touching and surprisingly I did get to hear most of it with the two kids by myself. (I had some candy - our church is at one) I hear you on not needing those store bought gifts I love my dandelions Bronx picks, a much needed sleep in, and he and Justin found this really cool heart shaped rock and painted it. When Kelli asked what I got and I told her a rock - she was a little like WHAT? But I think she will eventually get it:) Glad your day was good your such a good mom!

Tristy said...

I think it's pretty amazing for a 13 year old boy to be able to say in front of a room full of people how much he loves his mom! You must be doing something right.

Katie said...

What a sweet talk! I agree with Evan: you are hilarious! That has always been one of my favorite things about you, too. In fact, I have your family photo on our fridge. Whenever people ask about it, I always do a quick explanation of the family, which always includes--And this is my Aunt Arianne--she's hysterical! I miss you so all so much. I'm glad you had a great mother's day. I sure wish I was going to be there when you and Anya go visit my mom.

Amanda said...

Seriously his talk was soo good. It was fun to see a young man do such a great job and write a talk of his own! Good job as a mother and good job Evan!! We really enjoyed it!